- There is no perceived IT generation gap: Young people really are thick â€¢ The Register – The middle-aged Register speaks to the medicare-aged retiring. There’s more time to stay further in front of the curve when you’re old.> The kids of my day bantered in rhyming slang and Nadsat; these days they speak StartUp and DipShit.
> Age has nothing to do with the definition of culture.
> In fact, the whole age thing is overrated if you ask me. All my neighbours are long retired but they are completely up to date on modern culture, from AI in healthcare to Facebookâ€™s naughtiness. OK, admittedly one of them thought Stormy Daniels was a rapping conjurer but thatâ€™s what you get when you strike up conversation in the automated till queue at Waitrose.
> Itâ€™s simply because most people are thick. I realise now that Iâ€™m not an old geezer worried that modern culture has left him behind. Iâ€™m just a snob. Phew! I can live with that. – (culture )
- [toread] An Apology for the Internet â€” From the People Who Built It – – (history )
- [toread] Fandom, Feminism, and Maker Pedagogy – – (maker_pedagogy making )
- Civil war erupts at top of FCC over Sinclair’s creepy grasp on US telly – > “We need to stand up, speak out, and call out when government is being used as a tool to attack the conditions that make it possible for news to serve as a check on power,” said Rosenworcel. “We cannot allow the cry of fake news to extinguish our inquiry into hard subjects, diminish our willingness to seek truth, or temper our support for the First Amendment.” – (fcc freespeech )
- 25 Years of EdTech â€“ 2003: Blogs – – (#en3177 )
- RSS is undead – Reasons to love RSS: no branding, no user analytics, no ads, user rather than provider curation. Content. – (socialpractices reading marketing rss )
- The Final Surrender of Anti-Trump Conservatism – â€œAn authoritarian can be a Republican in good standing.â€ Not really a novel conclusion. But conservative support for Trump has revealed the anti-democratic ideology at its core. – (authoritarianism politics trump )
- The Fall of the TV Family in Trump’s America | WIRED – The TV family sitcom never was a forum for debate. The Beaver never sat dow with Wally and had it out. Rosanne has was a Snidely Whiplash melodrama.> rushed through on the way to the next joke – (none)
- 25 Years of EdTech â€“ 2000: Learning objects – LO couldn’t die fast enough. Locally, they were pushed top down by admins looking for standardization. Pedagogically, the problem was decontextualization that drained them of worth outside of training. – (open_learning learningobjects )
- Better than the Printed Page: Reading on an iPad – Modding the iPad for reading. – (ipad reading visual_perception )
- Language Log Â» Cultural diffusion and the Whorfian hypothesis – Co-diffusion as a mechanism – (Linguistic_change classification linguistics )