- A Flexible, Interoperable Digital Learning Platform: Are We There Yet? -e-Literate – Defining learning platforms.
> I believe incentives in the industry have changed enough that we could have a win-win scenario for all implementing parties.
- Education Technology as ‘The New Normal’ – Go Audrey. > Education needs to change, we have long been told. It is outmoded. Inefficient. And this “new normal” – in an economic sense much more than a pedagogical one – has meant schools have been tasked to “do more with less” and specifically to do more with new technologies which promise greater efficiency, carrying with them the values of business and markets rather than the values of democracy or democratic education. – (education )
- Tools Index | Voyant Tools Documentation – Tools for corpus analysis – (tools linguistics )
- 10 Ways to Annotate with Students – Hypothesis – annotation as an end in itself, a waypoint. – (dh en3177 notes annotation tools notetaking )
- Lean WordPress: A guide to optimizing your CMS – – (#en3177 en3177 )
- Representation or Presentation? – A primer by Jill Waker Rettberg. Essential reading for students looking at selfies or blog posts as identity. Representation involves reading the mediation, and social media is always meditated. – (semiotics dh en3177 )
- Tooling Up for Digital Humanities – "The Tooling Up workshop series offers an introduction to fundamental concepts, methods, and issues within the field of digital humanities. It is appropriate for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty members, but is aimed primarily at humanities scholars with minimal exposure to digital methodology and a curiosity to learn more about the digital humanities." – (DH workshop DIT tools courses )
- My Life Bits – Gemmell et al – MyLifeBits is a project to fulfill the Memex vision first posited by Vannevar Bush in 1945. It is a system for storing all of one’s digital media, including documents, images, sounds, and videos. It is built on four principles: (1) collections and search must replace hierarchy for organization (2) many visualizations should be supported (3) annotations are critical to non-text media and must be made easy, and (4) authoring should be via transclusion. – (lifelogging lifecasting DH )
- Trendsmap – Real-time local Twitter trends – – (twitter mashup visualization socialmedia map tools )
- WPtouch: Mobile Plugin + Theme for WordPress ↔ BraveNewCode Inc. – I added the WPTouch plugin to mcmorgan.org/blog. It is superb: well-designed for the small screen, fast, detailed in its execution. It's value-added for visitors to a WP-blog.
"WPtouch: WordPress on iPhone, iPod & Android More than just a plugin, WPtouch is an entire theme package for your WordPress website. Modeled after Apple's app store design specs, WPtouch makes your WordPress website load lightning fast on touch mobile devices, show your content beautifully, all while not interfering with your regular theme." – (iPhone wordpress plugins webdesign findability )
- Capitol Words – A set of filters for working with word frequency of the congressional record. By cloud, by time, by speaker. Get your George Lakoff ready. – (tools newliteracy )
- COMPUTERS, CUT-UPS AND COMBINATORY VOLVELLES, by whitney anne trettien – An interesting demo of combinatory prose. – (linguistics cutups newliteracy newmedia )
A catch-up post while reactivating postalicious.
- 15 Effective Tools for Visual Knowledge Management – – (infographic visualization software )
- Wolfram Alpha – a new kind of Fail – Taking Wolfram and his data processor down a notch. – (newmedia plagiarism google searchengine )
- Commuters asked to write Haikus – Remember the Guardian’s txting poetry contest? – (twitter socialmedia )
- LinkedIn profiles: Avoid the five most common mistakes | Business Center | Macworld – Advice for managing contacts and links – (howto socialnetworking LinkedIn )
- Alumni Try to Rewrite History on College-Newspaper Web Sites – Chronicle.com – – (dangers socialnetworking socialpractices )
- twistori – Based on wefeelfine, calls on twitter. – (tools twitter mashup )
- Immersive Education Initiative London Summit 2009 : Wonderblog – We ran this session more like a participative workshop (hence the lack of suitable recording) in which we asked the audience members to identify the current issues facing the deployment of Virtual Worlds in education (not just Wonderland).We broke the audience into three user categories: educators, developers and learning technologists and asked them to identify the issues particular to them.
- Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable « Clay Shirky – new models. – (journalism )
- Personal Dashboards | Geekpreneur – Promotional article on using a mindmap as a PLE hub. – (vle ple mindmap )
- fd’s Flickr Toys: Do fun stuff with your photos – Utilities and toys for printing and mashups. – (publicauthoring publishing publishing2.0 print flickr twitter )
- Is Facebook Really Bad for You? » the billblog – How some press gobble up lite research. – (facebook socialnetworking research )
- Wonderblog post – People who are “radically co-located” – working together in the same space – are almost twice as productive as those who are distant. This is due to awareness of others actions, gestures, and gaze, as well as the ability to have impromptu conversations. In real life, we judge how to behave towards others based on the distance they stand from us when talking coupled with other subtle social cues, such as eye gaze. – (wonderland SL virtual_environments )
- Lifehacker – Six Ways You Should Be Using Twitter (that Don’t Involve Breakfast) – Feature – – (twitter socialnetworking howto socialpractices )
- A nation of programmers? BIll Thompson – – (techadvice socialpractices two_cultures literacy )
- Wired Campus: How Social Networking Affects the Student Life Cycle — From Applicant to Graduate – Chronicle.com – This seemed initially pretty tame, but on a second reading, the gatekeeping function of admissions became more ominous. – (social_software socialnetworking socialpractices admissions studentlife )