- Technology Fails Plagiarism, Citation Tests – "plagiarism detection software is being unmasked as not as effective as using browser search engines." But with Turnitin, you don't actually have to read the paper. Maybe I'm cynical, but I'm thinking we don't trust our own judgements. But the better argument is this,
"Both plagiarism detection and citation software are harbingers of the dangers of seeking shortcuts for teaching students any aspect of writing; spending school or university funds on these inadequate technologies, I think, is hard to defend, but the greater pedagogical problem is how technology often serves to impede, not strengthen our roles as educators—especially as teachers of writing. – (plagiarism fyw )
- Fear and Loathing of the English Passive – Geoffrey Pullum – Pullum clarifies use of the passive in English. Makes one glad to be alive. – (grammar usage syntax strunknwhite )
- Human Resources and Thought Control – Lingua Franca – Geoffrey Pullum – Another strike at the gramma and umbrage gang. This time it's a matter of getting a focus: Don't try to change the language – change the damn HR policies.
"My point is that either it’s right to try to reshape people’s thinking by sculpting their phraseology or it isn’t. If it isn’t, then Orwell shouldn’t have been trying to manipulate our political perception through linguistic revision. But if it is, then HR people are not doing anything wrong by following Orwell’s example.
You can’t have it both ways: Thought control through word or phrase eradication… can’t be uncritically regarded as right when Orwell does it but automatically condemned as wrong when your employer does it. That’s begging the question." – (grammar standards strunknwhite )
- Dear Michael: An Open Letter From The Present About The Future Of Your Past – A brief article on giving up social media for blogging and letter writing as one way of making the trace of an online life coherent. Places the blog as a space to collect one's thoughts. – (history en3177 socialmedia identity fragmentation )
- the velocity of a sheep in a vacuum and other register measurements – Standards of measurement based on EU standards for fruit and pasta, double-decker buses, and the area of Wales. Yeah? And using feet, inches, or even millimeters are any different? – (standards parody EU )
- Traction Software, Inc. | Blog1424: Intertwingled Work – What it says on the tin. A bang on bloggy essay (repurposing and demonstration for you en3177 people) on interconnectedness, findability, addressability, and differences between transactional systems and social systems. – (en2177 findability essay socialsystems transliteracy blogging )