- How I manage to keep active in so many networks – PhD candidate Cristina Costa on living in her PLN. – (dl dh academia2.0 ple fyw social_learning )
- Your WYSIWYG Editor sucks – outlines the concerns of developers, which is a good insight into how and what they think. includes that pesky gender problem: the smes are gendered as women, getting a little too creative for the developers and either slow in learning or just plain obstinate. interesting how the typist is still gendered and the solutions to them is still administrative. – (webdesign sme gender cms )
- [toread] INVENTIO – Theory & Practice of Designing Digital Genres for Learning & Leisure – a large project grant proposal – (none)
- [toread] Seeley Brown Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0 – Survey of open Ed projects and change in pedagogy. – (Ple mooc open_learning social_learning en3177 )
- [toread] Cursive Hand in a BlackBerry Field: A Poetics of the List | The New Everyday – About lists and their use in the everyday. A loose connection with PLEs and MOOCs comes through a consideration of the everyday. a mooc makes learning an everyday occurrence. – (Ple lists notetaking notes mooc )
- Reflections on open courses « Connectivism – "MOOCs embody, rather than reflect, practices within the digital economy" and other premises. nice reflexive piece on designing, practicing, and convincing deans that MOOCs are worth trying – (OLR MOOC social_learning DE )
- Does your org have a Facebook Page comment escalation flow-chart? ~ Stephen’s Web – Stephen Downes on what decorum becomes when run through an organization. Good teaching tool? Not so much. The principle behind the decorum is CYA rather than Do No Harm or Show Practical Wisdom. – (socialpractices rhetoric decorum )
- The Millennial Muddle: How Stereotyping Students Became an Industry – Student Affairs – The Chronicle of Higher Education – A close and thorough look at three or four ways of analyzing and grouping students. Opens up a general critique of the method and those who base their assumptions and actions on the results. Valuable for FYC.
""There's this expectation that your No. 1 job is to pander to this exotic alien consumer," says Mr. Vaidhyanathan, an associate professor of media studies at the University of Virginia. "At that point, you cease being a teacher and you are simply selling yourself to an audience that might not be interested in buying.""
says Mr. Vaidhyanathan. "Generational thinking is just a benign form of bigotry, in which you flatten out diversity. This is debilitating to the job of trying to work with young people."
"Some folks are using this as a template and a cookbook," Mr. Bonner says of Millennials descriptions. "It makes it very difficult to see and understand variations because people who don't fit the recipe may be viewed as outliers. That anesthetizes nuances." – (fyc socialpractices social_learning teaching students_as_customers )
- An absolutely riveting online course: Nine principles for excellence in web-based teaching – V good overview article, mainly because it mentions, if not develops, implications and human requirements for each of the principles. Beneath it all: Excellent DE courses depend on excellent teachers.
This article explores excellence in web-based teaching. Drawing on the views of experts in the field and the perspective of their own years of experience, the authors compiled a list of 9 principles to provide direction in the search for online excellence. The principles include: the online world is a medium unto itself; sense of community and social presence are essential to online excellence; in the online world, content is a verb; great online courses are defined by teaching, not technology. The list is not intended to be an exclusive set of principles or a comprehensive guide to online teaching. Rather it is a collection of important ideas and suggestions for teaching excellence in the online world. – (DE ple vle onlinelearning OU OpenUniversity )
- Participatory Media Lesson Plans | Social Media CoLab – via http://jilltxt.net/. Brief labs incorporating wikis, blogs, et al in teaching. – (wiki blog rss social_learning twitter tagcloud )
- Wiki Pedaggical Potential: Dossiers technopédagogiques – A recent re-covering of mainstream ideas, but more than enough to get a fresh take on wikis. – (wiki pedagogy teaching social_learning )