- The big picture » A Digital Workflow for Academic Research – A close consideration of a PLE, including using links, from invention through distro. Worth returning to regularly. – (ple cmooc invention )
- Inside a MOOC in Progress – Wired Campus – The Chronicle of Higher Education – Roll up roll up. Watch as the Amazing Coursera Comp-MOOC does its death-defying stunts for an awestruck crowd.
"Because of the way the Coursera platform is constructed, such wide-ranging decisions have been hard-coded into the software—decisions that seem to have no educational rationale and that thwart the intent of our course. "
"When I wanted to make the penalty for not completing peer review a 100-percent deduction per assignment, the Coursera support team responded that the maximum deduction could be only 20 percent. Coursera acknowledged that other instructors had complained about the penalty figure but gave no indication as to when or whether the problem would be addressed. Predictably, many students have not completed the peer review, leaving others with little feedback. In my opinion, the instructor, not the platform, should determine how an assignment is evaluated." – (xmooc )
- Hacking the Academy – A BOOK CROWDSOURCED IN ONE WEEK MAY 21-28, 2010 – (publishing publishing2.0 publicauthoring academic socialpractices book )
- Dan Cohen» Open Access Publishing and Scholarly Values – Be visible, be findable: "But in their cost-benefit calculus they often forget to factor in the hidden costs of publishing in a closed way. The largest hidden cost is the invisibility of what you publish. When you publish somewhere that is behind gates, or in paper only, you are resigning all of that hard work to invisibility in the age of the open web. You may reach a few peers in your field, but you miss out on the broader dissemination of your work, including to potential other fans." – (publishing2.0 academic opensource scholarship digital )
- Feeling Stuck? These Web Toys Might Do the Trick – spurs to invention for those who need spurs – (invention cw )