- Learning outcomes are corrosive – Our dirty little secret: we use learning outcomes as boilerplate. But they are not benign.
"Yet learning outcomes are not just another banal instrument deployed to monitor and quantify the achievements of students. The very purpose of this organisational instrument is to accomplish a shift in emphasis from learning to outcomes. This is a technique through which a utilitarian ethos to academic life serves to diminish what would otherwise be an open-ended experience for student and teacher alike. Those who advocate learning outcomes do so expressly with the aim of abolishing such experiences, which is why they so vociferously target anything that smacks of ambiguity."
- The MOOCs that ate themselves – As MOOCs go mainstream, they … go mainstream. Pedagogy, assessment, quality. It's Starbuck's all the way down. – (MOOC infographic )
- Issues in developing and implementing e-Portfolios – Info graphic and summary of a longer report. Tension between purposes, where assessment trashes making. "Many organisations are looking to some form of e-Portfolio to meet this need. Yet there is a tension between the use of e-portfolios to record and reflect on learning, as a tools for learning itself and as a means to assessment." – (portfolios eportfolios assessment )
A catch-up post while reactivating postalicious.
- 15 Effective Tools for Visual Knowledge Management – – (infographic visualization software )
- Wolfram Alpha – a new kind of Fail – Taking Wolfram and his data processor down a notch. – (newmedia plagiarism google searchengine )
- Commuters asked to write Haikus – Remember the Guardian’s txting poetry contest? – (twitter socialmedia )
- LinkedIn profiles: Avoid the five most common mistakes | Business Center | Macworld – Advice for managing contacts and links – (howto socialnetworking LinkedIn )
- Alumni Try to Rewrite History on College-Newspaper Web Sites – Chronicle.com – – (dangers socialnetworking socialpractices )
- twistori – Based on wefeelfine, calls on twitter. – (tools twitter mashup )
- Immersive Education Initiative London Summit 2009 : Wonderblog – We ran this session more like a participative workshop (hence the lack of suitable recording) in which we asked the audience members to identify the current issues facing the deployment of Virtual Worlds in education (not just Wonderland).We broke the audience into three user categories: educators, developers and learning technologists and asked them to identify the issues particular to them.
- Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable Â« Clay Shirky – new models. – (journalism )
- Personal Dashboards | Geekpreneur – Promotional article on using a mindmap as a PLE hub. – (vle ple mindmap )
- fd’s Flickr Toys: Do fun stuff with your photos – Utilities and toys for printing and mashups. – (publicauthoring publishing publishing2.0 print flickr twitter )
- Is Facebook Really Bad for You? Â» the billblog – How some press gobble up lite research. – (facebook socialnetworking research )
- Wonderblog post – People who are “radically co-located” – working together in the same space – are almost twice as productive as those who are distant. This is due to awareness of others actions, gestures, and gaze, as well as the ability to have impromptu conversations. In real life, we judge how to behave towards others based on the distance they stand from us when talking coupled with other subtle social cues, such as eye gaze. – (wonderland SL virtual_environments )
- Lifehacker – Six Ways You Should Be Using Twitter (that Don’t Involve Breakfast) – Feature – – (twitter socialnetworking howto socialpractices )
- A nation of programmers? BIll Thompson – – (techadvice socialpractices two_cultures literacy )
- Wired Campus: How Social Networking Affects the Student Life Cycle — From Applicant toÂ Graduate – Chronicle.com – This seemed initially pretty tame, but on a second reading, the gatekeeping function of admissions became more ominous. – (social_software socialnetworking socialpractices admissions studentlife )