- A Domain of One’s Own in a Post-Ownership Society – resisting the subscriptio. – (oer foss education )
- ‘If you fight fire with fire, everyone burns’: how to catch a troll like Trump | US news | The Guardian – – (erhetoric rhetoric )
- Making and Breaking Domain of One’s Own: Rethinking the Web in Higher Ed – D2l course in a box? There are better options.
> So the LMS underscores and further codifies a set of beliefs and values: courses should be used as a unit of measure to more efficiently track and administer the business of higher education, and within those courses we should build standard interfaces, provide standardized features and tools, and promote, among our students, the expectation that their experiences from one course to the next will be, well, standard.
- Transmission Model of Communication – David Chandler critiques Shannon and Weaver's model as it has been used in common culture. Not merely mostly harmless. "In short, the transmissive model is of little direct value to social science research into human communication, and its endurance in popular discussion is a real liability. Its reductive influence has implications not only for the commonsense understanding of communication in general, but also for specific forms of communication such as speaking and listening, writing and reading, watching television and so on. In education, it represents a similarly transmissive model of teaching and learning. And in perception in general, it reflects the naive 'realist' notion that meanings exist in the world awaiting only decoding by the passive spectator. In all these contexts, such a model underestimates the creativity of the act of interpretation." – (communication Dh erhetoric )
- The Martian: Allegory of Whose Lives Matter – – (none)
- Dear parents: Let your kids use open source software – Written for parents. A tiny guide and apologia for FOSS. – (foss open_source linux tech_writing )