Another note on how the lack of public academic discussion is being shaped: “UNC also has a just-launched Koch-funded Center for the Science of Moral Understanding. The Center seems redundant with an in-progress UNC Program in Public Discourse, first named the Program in Civic Virtue and Civil Discourse. Both direct attention away from the use of wealth to distort public discourse, in favor of examining individual-level debates between liberals and conservatives. In addition to faculty members outside UNC–Chapel Hill, the program has two members from the board of trustees and one member from the board of governors on the advisory board. To say that these political appointees are out of their lanes is to put it mildly. The accrediting organization, SACSCOC, should take note.”
- A User’s Guide to Forking Education – Hybrid Pedagogy – critique of the domesticated technologies of Ed. Los, discussion forums.
Most of these systems recreate the bureaucracies of education without capturing the joy and rigor. At their worst, learning management systems turn students into columns in a spreadsheet, taking all that’s ineffable about learning and making it grossly manifest. Learning management systems aren’t all bad (some even revolutionize in important ways), but the idea is bad, the impulse is bad, at its core. They make homogenous what is fundamentally heterogeneous, standardizing what shouldn’t be standardized. Fetishizing the learning management system is to confuse educational administration with learning. Perhaps, the administration of education does need managing, but learning needs to be given a frame and then set loose. Very few online learning tools encourage the sorts of risk-taking that make for the best pedagogies. Quality should not be assured; it should be discovered. – (de lms discussions )
- The Quiet Page & Linking the Web | Heart | Soul | Machine – Tim Klapdor introduces the Quiet Page: linked, annotatable, contextualized, and shared.
To annotate it myself. To highlight underline and note. To visualise and add my experience with the text. (Personal)
To view others experiences of the text. To see their notes and discussions. To see their highlights and to experience the text in a social and shared way. (Social)
To create trails. To connect the text to other content, ideas and resources myself. To place the text in my context, my experience and my knowledge. (Synthesis)
And then to share those trails. To let others see how I’ve contextualised the text. To see my experience but to then be able to add to it and expand it. (Connected) – (fedwiki annotation sharing )
- Webs Of Thinkers And Thoughts – WebSeitz/wiki – Jul'2015: triggered by Mike Caulfield recent posts (emphasis on curating, connecting, annotations) plus others' responding/riffing, want to start over without even assuming wiki. Context/goals… – (annotation fedwiki )
- Faculty Governance in the New University | AAUP – – (none)
- MOOC Discussion Forums: barrier to engagement? – Long live distributed discussions. But consider that learning can be silent, too. "but that centralized discussion forums do not scale. For MOOCs to be more effective, we need to see different approaches to student engagement." – (cmooc mooc xmooc de discussions )
- Donald Clark Plan B: MOOCs: more action in 1 year than last 1000 years – This hype-fest by Clark has got to go on record. Textbook mythos of the self-knighted entrepreneur saving the world from the leviathan. Nice to see Clark himself acting the sophomore in his comments, too. Prisoner of his own cliches. – (hype )
- The Discussion Forum is Dead; Long Live the Discussion Forum – – (dl de e-pedagogy discussions d2l )