- [toread] Why crowdsourcing works | I’m Not Actually a Geek – – (crowdsourcing DH via:cpoetter )
- Essay critiques how ‘student as customer’ idea erodes key values in higher education | Inside Higher Ed – she tries to argue for an up side, for responsibility, but that only works if you grant the premise, which I don't, and am not persuaded. "The student-as-customer model, because it is premised upon unsustainable growth and unsecured debt, and government abandonment of its responsibilities, is the human equivalent of strip-mining. It is a wholesale mortgage of the future in exchange for fleeting short terms gains. The problem is not even necessarily in having a student-as-customer model, but in assuming that growth, rather than sustainability and equilibrium, is the only forward motion available to higher education. – (fyc )
- Encouraging a Conference Backchannel on Twitter – ProfHacker – The Chronicle of Higher Education – Tips – (backchannel twitter DH )
- Presenting for Twitter at Conferences – ProfHacker – The Chronicle of Higher Education – Taking (an unacknolwedged? unknowingly?) leaf from 140 Characters, ProfHacker proposes tips passed off as BPs. Meh. – (14Ocharacters twitter backchannel BPs )
- Open-Thread Wednesday: Best Practices for Live-Tweeting at Conferences? – ProfHacker – The Chronicle of Higher Education – The Chronicle initiates a crowdsourcing project on, basically, etiquette. Best practices are "what we do locally." – (crowdsourcing twitter DH backchannel )
- #Open Textbook Tweet – A manifesto for ope texts in a collection of tweets – (crowdsourcing oer openaccess en3177 twwt system:filetype:pdf system:media:document )
- WikiEducator – – (oer openeducation openaccess )
- Microsoft Launches Open Source Filter for Mediawiki – WikiEducator – Could be better: Could simply support markup – lots of text editors do. – (oer mediawiki )
Seems the Tories have discovered crowdsourcing – a little late. Shadow culture minister Hunt says,
“It is crazy that [policies] have gone wrong when you’ve got lots and lots of, for example, retired health professionals, retired policemen, people in the teaching profession, who have huge knowledge and expertise…
“Is there a way that we can use the internet … to try and avoid some of these howlers so a future Conservative government can not just have good policy ideas but execute policy in a much more considered and thought-through way?”
Of course there’s a way of bringing people into the conversation, Mr Hill, and Lib Dem Jenny Willot (bless) is willing to give the Tories advice for free. Well, almost free. She gets an obligatory snipe in at the end.
For the Liberal Democrats, Work and Pensions spokesperson Jenny Willott MP said: “This prize is clearly a publicity stunt and a total waste of taxpayers’ money.
“There are already a multitude of ways to communicate with large numbers of people online, from Facebook to discussion groups.
“Maybe the Tories are so out of touch they don’t know what’s out there, but they shouldn’t waste £1m of public money reinventing the wheel.”
Of course, crowdsourcing won’t solve the problem of Getting It Right unless you listen to the sources. So here’s hoping that a £1m investment means the Tories would value what their sources tell them.
- Open Access Publisher Accepts Nonsense Manuscript for Dollars « The Scholarly Kitchen – Davis's account of how he submitted a computer-generated bogus article to an open-access journal, had it accepted, and was asked for $$ to cover publication. "Would a publisher accept a completely nonsensical manuscript if the authors were willing to pay Open Access publication charges?" The incident is mildly interesting, but anyone can spoof a for-profit. More from the Chronicle over here: http://chronicle.com/news/article/6665/publisher-suggests-it-played-along-with-hoax – (academic )
- #iranelection cyberwar guide for beginners – – (hashtags socialnetworking politics twitter cyberwar crowdsourcing #iranelection )
- Studies Explore Whether the Internet Makes Students Better Writers – Chronicle.com – OV of the Stanford study, and the usual suspects comment on facility v quality. – (literacy newliteracy fyc )
- Foswiki Home – Foswiki: a fork of Twiki. Package available for Mac, Fusion, Linux. – (wiki )
- Wiki: Web Collaboration – full text pdfs – Anja Ebersbach, Markus Glaser, Richard Heigl; – (wikis )