- Trump Grill Could Be the Worst Restaurant in America | Vanity Fair – Let's be clear: It's not about the restaurant. – (review trump )
- Measuring Proficient Teachers Codifies Bad Teaching | the becoming radical – Proficiency is adherence to the rubric, as competency is adherence to the rules. But when rubrics are mandated, when their use is made a required part of evaluation, then the mandators are over-extending their reach into teaching and learning. I'm looking at you, HLC.
> Rubrics, they argue, ultimately fail complex human behaviors such as writing. While rubrics facilitate statistical aspects of measuring human behaviors (such as teaching and learning), by doing so, they also tend to erode the quality of the very behaviors being measured.
> As a writing teacher, I can confirm Wilson’s and Kohn’s critiques that student writing conforming to a rubric and thus deemed “proficient” or “excellent” can be and often is quite bad writing. Rubric-based labels such as “proficient” reflect compliance to the rubric, not writing quality. – (rubrics educationasproduct assessment_as_sham assessment )
- It’s Trump’s America now. Time to get over our attachment to facts | Richard Wolffe | Opinion | The Guardian – What you assert bites back. – (polemic politics rhetoric )
- Language Log » Gertrude Trump – Yep: Donald is channeling Gertrude Stein in his prose. – (rhetoric modernism )
- Is “The Web As a Tool For Thought” a Gating Item? | Hapgood – > The first, biggest, and most important step is to get people to think of the web as something bigger than just conversation or expression. Once we do that, the reasons why things like annotation layers, linked data and federated wiki make sense will be come clear. Until then, we’ll stay stuck in the DMV parking lot. – (wikity wiki wikiway annotation notetaking fedwiki )
- [toread] How One Professor Is Trying to Paint a Richer Portrait of Effective Teaching – The Chronicle of Higher Education – – (assessment_as_sham assessment )