- Trendsmap – Real-time local Twitter trends – – (twitter mashup visualization socialmedia map tools )
- WPtouch: Mobile Plugin + Theme for WordPress ↔ BraveNewCode Inc. – I added the WPTouch plugin to mcmorgan.org/blog. It is superb: well-designed for the small screen, fast, detailed in its execution. It's value-added for visitors to a WP-blog.
"WPtouch: WordPress on iPhone, iPod & Android More than just a plugin, WPtouch is an entire theme package for your WordPress website. Modeled after Apple's app store design specs, WPtouch makes your WordPress website load lightning fast on touch mobile devices, show your content beautifully, all while not interfering with your regular theme." – (iPhone wordpress plugins webdesign findability )
- VoiceThread – Group conversations around images, documents, and videos – Yet another social media exchange. Similar to a wiki page in that comments and layers are associated with the specific target. Unlike a wiki and more like a blog in that the target itself is not modified but layered. But the layering is interesting. It means that a target can have different sets of commentary and notes: a different story for the same diegesis, different emphases of the same ground … – (socialpractices socialmedia multimedia multimodal de web collaboration presentation voicethread audio twwt )
- Fix Your Track Record: What to Do About Embarrassing Projects From Your Past – – (blogging freelancing )
- Collect Data About Yourself with Twitter – your.flowingdata – A project in data collection and visualization by Nathan Yau, a statistics graduate student at UCLA. Use twitter to post data points <action> or <action> <value> to a direct twitter feed. Collect enough data entries and patterns begin to emerge. Visualizations are at <http://your.flowingdata.com/home/> Keep this project in sight. It's likely to be useful in classes, but it will also become news soon. – (visualization twitter socialmedia design statistics )
- Gauge Your Distraction While You Text and Drive in the Distracted Driving Game – – (texting )
- The Ed Techie: Social media learning principles – Martin Weller on six principles to keep in mind while designing networked instruction.
1. <embed> is the universal acid of the web – we should build around it.
2. Simple with reach trumps complex with small audience.
3. Sharing is a motivation to participation – so make it easy and rewarding to do.
4. Start simple and let others build on top
5. Providing limitations frames input (Cf twitter, 12seconds, etc)
6. Complexity resides in the network not the application – (newmedia newliteracy socialmedia design educationaldesign teaching coursedesign )
- MediaShift . How Journalists Are Using Twitter in Australia | PBS – Excellent overview of uses by and responses to twitter in pro journalism. From ABC Australia. – (newmedia journalism citizenjournalism socialmedia Twitter )
- 7 things you should know about Twitter – Educase PDF. Overview. – (twitter teaching web2.0 socialmedia microblogging system:filetype:pdf system:media:document )
- Twitter in higher education – Really just a technique or two > A better model for twitter integration was suggested which I quite like. This would involve defined periods when students were encouraged to ‘tweet’. For example, 20 minutes in you say to the students “for the next 3 minutes discuss with your neighbour the issues raised so far (or have a specific question you want them to answer). Please feel free to ‘tweet’ your thoughts or questions using the tag #xxxx”. The lecturer could then choose to take a couple of minutes to respond there and then or follow up after the class. – (twitter web2.0 lecture teaching )
- Professors experiment with Twitter as teaching tool – JSOnline – List of faculty at Marquette who are using twitter for classes and why. The usual reasons and uses. One warning to limit personal exchanges. – (twitter socialpractices socialmedia privacy facebook teaching fyc )
- I’m So Totally, Digitally Close to You – Clive Thompson – NYTimes.com – Updates and weak ties. Always on means a return to village life, where everyone knows what everyone else is doing. Monitor your online persona so you can control it. "This is the paradox of ambient awareness. Each little update — each individual bit of social information — is insignificant on its own, even supremely mundane. But taken together, over time, the little snippets coalesce into a surprisingly sophisticated portrait of your friends’ and family members’ lives, like thousands of dots making a pointillist painting. This was never before possible, because in the real world, no friend would bother to call you up and detail the sandwiches she was eating. The ambient information becomes like “a type of E.S.P.,” as Haley described it to me, an invisible dimension floating over everyday life." – (weak_ties ambient_awareness findability facebook twitter socialmedia web2.0 socialnetworking microblogging intimacy )
- Wired Campus: Professor Says Free Lectures Did Not Boost Book Sales, Contrary to ‘Wired’ Editor’s New Book – Chronicle.com – Fun stuff, with a Wired editor arguing for causation, an academic author arguing a fluke, and commentators arguing both ways. The article is written so that all can have their say, which by my book, is the New Journalism. – (publishing2.0 web2.0 longtail new_epistemology newmedia )
A catch-up post while reactivating postalicious.
- 15 Effective Tools for Visual Knowledge Management – – (infographic visualization software )
- Wolfram Alpha – a new kind of Fail – Taking Wolfram and his data processor down a notch. – (newmedia plagiarism google searchengine )
- Commuters asked to write Haikus – Remember the Guardian’s txting poetry contest? – (twitter socialmedia )
- LinkedIn profiles: Avoid the five most common mistakes | Business Center | Macworld – Advice for managing contacts and links – (howto socialnetworking LinkedIn )
- Alumni Try to Rewrite History on College-Newspaper Web Sites – Chronicle.com – – (dangers socialnetworking socialpractices )
- twistori – Based on wefeelfine, calls on twitter. – (tools twitter mashup )
- Immersive Education Initiative London Summit 2009 : Wonderblog – We ran this session more like a participative workshop (hence the lack of suitable recording) in which we asked the audience members to identify the current issues facing the deployment of Virtual Worlds in education (not just Wonderland).We broke the audience into three user categories: educators, developers and learning technologists and asked them to identify the issues particular to them.
- Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable « Clay Shirky – new models. – (journalism )
- Personal Dashboards | Geekpreneur – Promotional article on using a mindmap as a PLE hub. – (vle ple mindmap )
- fd’s Flickr Toys: Do fun stuff with your photos – Utilities and toys for printing and mashups. – (publicauthoring publishing publishing2.0 print flickr twitter )
- Is Facebook Really Bad for You? » the billblog – How some press gobble up lite research. – (facebook socialnetworking research )
- Wonderblog post – People who are “radically co-located” – working together in the same space – are almost twice as productive as those who are distant. This is due to awareness of others actions, gestures, and gaze, as well as the ability to have impromptu conversations. In real life, we judge how to behave towards others based on the distance they stand from us when talking coupled with other subtle social cues, such as eye gaze. – (wonderland SL virtual_environments )
- Lifehacker – Six Ways You Should Be Using Twitter (that Don’t Involve Breakfast) – Feature – – (twitter socialnetworking howto socialpractices )
- A nation of programmers? BIll Thompson – – (techadvice socialpractices two_cultures literacy )
- Wired Campus: How Social Networking Affects the Student Life Cycle — From Applicant to Graduate – Chronicle.com – This seemed initially pretty tame, but on a second reading, the gatekeeping function of admissions became more ominous. – (social_software socialnetworking socialpractices admissions studentlife )