- Joho the Blog » Transparency is the new objectivity – Dave Weinberger. "transparency is now fulfilling some of objectivity’s old role in the ecology of knowledge." that is, "Transparency gives the reader information by which she can undo some of the unintended effects of the ever-present biases. Transparency brings us to reliability the way objectivity used to." – (web2.0 epistemology journalism )
- apophenia: Would the real social network please stand up? – "Not all social networks are the same.
You cannot assume network transitivity.
You cannot assume that properties that hold for one network apply to other networks.
To address this, I want to begin by mapping out three distinct ways of modeling a social network. These are not the only ways of modeling a social network, but they are three common ways that are often collapsed in public discourse." – (twitter facebook socialnetworking socialpractices )
- I’m So Totally, Digitally Close to You – Clive Thompson – NYTimes.com – Updates and weak ties. Always on means a return to village life, where everyone knows what everyone else is doing. Monitor your online persona so you can control it. "This is the paradox of ambient awareness. Each little update — each individual bit of social information — is insignificant on its own, even supremely mundane. But taken together, over time, the little snippets coalesce into a surprisingly sophisticated portrait of your friends’ and family members’ lives, like thousands of dots making a pointillist painting. This was never before possible, because in the real world, no friend would bother to call you up and detail the sandwiches she was eating. The ambient information becomes like “a type of E.S.P.,” as Haley described it to me, an invisible dimension floating over everyday life." – (weak_ties ambient_awareness findability facebook twitter socialmedia web2.0 socialnetworking microblogging intimacy )
- Wired Campus: Professor Says Free Lectures Did Not Boost Book Sales, Contrary to ‘Wired’ Editor’s New Book – Chronicle.com – Fun stuff, with a Wired editor arguing for causation, an academic author arguing a fluke, and commentators arguing both ways. The article is written so that all can have their say, which by my book, is the New Journalism. – (publishing2.0 web2.0 longtail new_epistemology newmedia )
- Open Access Publisher Accepts Nonsense Manuscript for Dollars « The Scholarly Kitchen – Davis's account of how he submitted a computer-generated bogus article to an open-access journal, had it accepted, and was asked for $$ to cover publication. "Would a publisher accept a completely nonsensical manuscript if the authors were willing to pay Open Access publication charges?" The incident is mildly interesting, but anyone can spoof a for-profit. More from the Chronicle over here: http://chronicle.com/news/article/6665/publisher-suggests-it-played-along-with-hoax – (academic )
- #iranelection cyberwar guide for beginners – – (hashtags socialnetworking politics twitter cyberwar crowdsourcing #iranelection )
- Studies Explore Whether the Internet Makes Students Better Writers – Chronicle.com – OV of the Stanford study, and the usual suspects comment on facility v quality. – (literacy newliteracy fyc )
- Foswiki Home – Foswiki: a fork of Twiki. Package available for Mac, Fusion, Linux. – (wiki )
- Wiki: Web Collaboration – full text pdfs – Anja Ebersbach, Markus Glaser, Richard Heigl; – (wikis )
A catch-up post while reactivating postalicious.
- 15 Effective Tools for Visual Knowledge Management – – (infographic visualization software )
- Wolfram Alpha – a new kind of Fail – Taking Wolfram and his data processor down a notch. – (newmedia plagiarism google searchengine )
- Commuters asked to write Haikus – Remember the Guardian’s txting poetry contest? – (twitter socialmedia )
- LinkedIn profiles: Avoid the five most common mistakes | Business Center | Macworld – Advice for managing contacts and links – (howto socialnetworking LinkedIn )
- Alumni Try to Rewrite History on College-Newspaper Web Sites – Chronicle.com – – (dangers socialnetworking socialpractices )
- twistori – Based on wefeelfine, calls on twitter. – (tools twitter mashup )
- Immersive Education Initiative London Summit 2009 : Wonderblog – We ran this session more like a participative workshop (hence the lack of suitable recording) in which we asked the audience members to identify the current issues facing the deployment of Virtual Worlds in education (not just Wonderland).We broke the audience into three user categories: educators, developers and learning technologists and asked them to identify the issues particular to them.
- Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable « Clay Shirky – new models. – (journalism )
- Personal Dashboards | Geekpreneur – Promotional article on using a mindmap as a PLE hub. – (vle ple mindmap )
- fd’s Flickr Toys: Do fun stuff with your photos – Utilities and toys for printing and mashups. – (publicauthoring publishing publishing2.0 print flickr twitter )
- Is Facebook Really Bad for You? » the billblog – How some press gobble up lite research. – (facebook socialnetworking research )
- Wonderblog post – People who are “radically co-located” – working together in the same space – are almost twice as productive as those who are distant. This is due to awareness of others actions, gestures, and gaze, as well as the ability to have impromptu conversations. In real life, we judge how to behave towards others based on the distance they stand from us when talking coupled with other subtle social cues, such as eye gaze. – (wonderland SL virtual_environments )
- Lifehacker – Six Ways You Should Be Using Twitter (that Don’t Involve Breakfast) – Feature – – (twitter socialnetworking howto socialpractices )
- A nation of programmers? BIll Thompson – – (techadvice socialpractices two_cultures literacy )
- Wired Campus: How Social Networking Affects the Student Life Cycle — From Applicant to Graduate – Chronicle.com – This seemed initially pretty tame, but on a second reading, the gatekeeping function of admissions became more ominous. – (social_software socialnetworking socialpractices admissions studentlife )
- Distinguish Yourself With A Social Calling Card [Business Cards] – – (socialnetworking p )
- WebWorkerDaily » Archive Oosah: A 1TB iPhone in the palm of your hand? « – The recently launched Oosah is another service that aims to provide services ‘in the cloud’ for the emerging class of mobile internet devices. – (iphone cloudcomputing mobilelearning )