- A Short History of CRAAP – Mike nails the central weaknesses in formula procedures.
> So let’s keep that in mind as we consider what to do in the future: contrary to public belief we did teach students online information literacy. It’s just that we taught them methodologies that were developed to decide whether to purchase reference sets for libraries.
Add this: the acronym was created to *teach* how to consider sources; it provides something to practice with, not to use in practice. All such acronyms are training wheels. One an acronym is learned, it should be set aside and insight gained from practice used, not the acronym. – (teaching nonteaching digital_literacy )
- Anonymous Trump White House Official Pens New York Times Op-Ed Claiming to Resist Him – I see your raise and call.
> what you're confronting now is the end result of 40 years of conservative politics and all the government-is-the-problem malfeasance you've been imbibing since you were wingnuts in swaddling. – (culturejamming trump politics )
- That Time Telco Lobbyists Sent Me All Their Talking Points About Trying To Shift The Blame To Internet Companies | Techdirt – About those talking points …. – (netneutrality politics eff )
- Wark – The Sublime Language of My Century | Public Seminar – On the ontology of capitalism after commodification. A thought experiment.
> Quite simply, we have run out of world to commodify. And now commodification can only cannibalize its own means of existence, both natural and social. Its like that silent film where the train runs out of firewood, so the carriages themselves have to be hacked to pieces and fed to the fire to keep it moving, until nothing but the bare bogies are left. – (capitalism commodification hacking IP )
- Why Trump Supporters Don’t Care About Cohen’s Admission – The Atlantic – When white supremacy is there, right under our nose and we don’t sense it.
- I read six sycophantic pro-Trump books — and then I read Omarosa – Humph
> None of these books is especially memorable or useful on its own. As a genre, however, and a reflection of their subject, they are instructive. These books scarcely attempt to persuade; like Trump, they focus on the already converted. Pirro dismisses Trump’s critics with catchphrases rather than arguments. “Not on my watch,” she declares, as if that meant something. “Give me a break.” “Drives me nuts.” “I don’t think so.” And my favorite: “Don’t get me started on those wackadoos.” – (trump politics )
- Top Euro court: No, you can’t steal images from other websites (too bad a school had to be sued to confirm this little fact) – Fair use by education is being reconsidered in the EU. This also means that CC needs to make inroads.
> It will also mean that every website – even school websites – will have to make sure that they only post images that they have permission to post. And pretty much everyone is going to have to reeducate themselves about what is and is not allowable online.
> It going to be messy, yet the decision also represents a gradual clawing back of previous norms in the internet era. It never made sense that people should be able to take other people's hard work – whether that's music, or video, or articles, or photographs – and do whatever they want with it just because it was possible to do so quickly and easily. – (publishing copyright EU )
- Koch Network Pushes Back on Trump’s Washington | Time – Read the disclosure first, then the apologia for Koch and co.
> Disclosure: Time Inc., TIME’s parent company, was acquired by Meredith Corp. in a deal partially financed by Koch Equity Development, a subsidiary of Koch Industries Inc. – (rhetoric apologia politics )
- Donald Trump is taking US down the path to tyranny (opinion) – CNN – Closer and closer.
> The Nazi henchman Hermann Göring explained in Nuremberg prison how easy it is to mobilize the public to war: "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country." – (politics fascism trump )