- A Domain of One’s Own in a Post-Ownership Society – resisting the subscriptio. – (oer foss education )
- ‘If you fight fire with fire, everyone burns’: how to catch a troll like Trump | US news | The Guardian – – (erhetoric rhetoric )
- Making and Breaking Domain of One’s Own: Rethinking the Web in Higher Ed – D2l course in a box? There are better options.
> So the LMS underscores and further codifies a set of beliefs and values: courses should be used as a unit of measure to more efficiently track and administer the business of higher education, and within those courses we should build standard interfaces, provide standardized features and tools, and promote, among our students, the expectation that their experiences from one course to the next will be, well, standard.
- Ed-Tech and the Commercialization of School – > Humans are not widgets. The cultivation of a mind cannot be mechanized. It should not be mechanized. Nevertheless, that’s been the impetus – an automation of education – behind much of education technology throughout the twentieth century. The commercialization of education is just one part of this larger ideology. – (d2l edtech learning_analytics LMS )
- [toread] [priv] In the Library with the Lead Pipe » Inclusivity, Gestalt Principles, and Plain Language in Document Design – – (none)
- [toread] [priv] Remarks at the SASE Panel On The Moral Economy of Tech – – (none)
- A User’s Guide to Forking Education – Hybrid Pedagogy – critique of the domesticated technologies of Ed. Los, discussion forums.
Most of these systems recreate the bureaucracies of education without capturing the joy and rigor. At their worst, learning management systems turn students into columns in a spreadsheet, taking all that’s ineffable about learning and making it grossly manifest. Learning management systems aren’t all bad (some even revolutionize in important ways), but the idea is bad, the impulse is bad, at its core. They make homogenous what is fundamentally heterogeneous, standardizing what shouldn’t be standardized. Fetishizing the learning management system is to confuse educational administration with learning. Perhaps, the administration of education does need managing, but learning needs to be given a frame and then set loose. Very few online learning tools encourage the sorts of risk-taking that make for the best pedagogies. Quality should not be assured; it should be discovered. – (de lms discussions )
- The Quiet Page & Linking the Web | Heart | Soul | Machine – Tim Klapdor introduces the Quiet Page: linked, annotatable, contextualized, and shared.
To annotate it myself. To highlight underline and note. To visualise and add my experience with the text. (Personal)
To view others experiences of the text. To see their notes and discussions. To see their highlights and to experience the text in a social and shared way. (Social)
To create trails. To connect the text to other content, ideas and resources myself. To place the text in my context, my experience and my knowledge. (Synthesis)
And then to share those trails. To let others see how I’ve contextualised the text. To see my experience but to then be able to add to it and expand it. (Connected) – (fedwiki annotation sharing )
- Webs Of Thinkers And Thoughts – WebSeitz/wiki – Jul'2015: triggered by Mike Caulfield recent posts (emphasis on curating, connecting, annotations) plus others' responding/riffing, want to start over without even assuming wiki. Context/goals… – (annotation fedwiki )
- The tools don’t get you the job – An argument that goes behind open source. Teach theory and the tools will find their own way. "Education is not meant to structure itself to the expectations of people seeking education." And "And maybe even sadder is that instead of teaching the students to be independent, to think about things in a different way, we educators are teaching people to fail. We are teaching up-and-comers that if something stands in your way, the correct response is to either throw money at it, and if you haven't got the money, then either get out or surrender, but do not under any circumstance deviate from the established course that the ads have proscribed" – (pedagogy ed_reform fedwiki opened opensource )
- The Un-education of a Technologist: From EDUPUNK to ds106 | bavatuesdays – By happenstance maybe? provides a gloss and commentary on the April 2015 EDUCAUSE Next-Generation LMS report for more of the same by re-awakening more of the different. – (DE edtech edcationaldesign lms PLE federation edupunk )
- The EDUCAUSE NGDLE and an API of One’s Own -e-Literate – A well-considered response to the EDUCAUSE paper on painting the LMS a new color. A federated and personal PLE would address the EDUCAUSE criteria for LEGO, while also opening the doors to alternative models of teaching and learning – like letting the student control her content. – (DE LMS PLE federation fedwiki edcationaldesign )
- RiTa Gallery – A set of generative prose and imagetexts written using RiTa, an open source procedural language generator. Two reasons to include here: to show how even good poetry can be hijacked in to formula (Exra bot), to suggest that YoU ToO can lEarn to pROGram, and because the collection includes a generative piss-take of Harry Potter at http://robclouth.com/harrypotter/ – (DH procedural_rhetoric generative_prose generative_poetry RITA Processing )
- Why Technology Will Never Fix Education – Commentary – The Chronicle of Higher Education – Please, let this realign admins and IT departments pushing online ed to a reality. Please please please. – (de mooc lms online )
- In Defense of Links, Part One: Nick Carr, hypertext and delinkification — Wordyard – Critique of Carr's assertion about links as distraction. "Links, like words, need to be used judiciously." First part of three posts on significance of links. Followed in 2015 by his Failed Promise of Deep Links. – (hypertext reading web links fedwiki linking )
- Learning is Not a Mechanism – "One of the problems with learning management system gradebooks, often mapped to rubrics and outcomes (which have run equally rampant of late), is that they assume students (and their experiences) are interchangeable. And they assume the same of teachers" – (de pedagogy mooc lms )
- Stereotropes – tropes – The penchant for cleverness limits its value, but it's a start. – (rhetoric dh )
- The Remix Hypothesis – We won't see the real digital change until we embrace the affordance of remix. – (remix DH sfw )
- Networked Study | bavatuesdays – Groom, Downes, Feldstien debate OER, discovered by way of Mike Caulfield here: http://hapgood.us/2014/08/07/blue-hampshires-death-spiral/ saving in many places. – (edupunk cmooc lms diy connectivism. )
- Bogost – The Rhetoric of Video Games – Central reading for an erhet project of procedural rhetoric – (dh procedural_rhetoric e-rhet rhetoric )