- President Trump Shares Anti-Obama Eclipse Meme | Time.com – Semiotic misfire. Language is bigger than we are.
- Daring Fireball: Wading Through AccuWeather’s Bullshit Response – Be aware. But be aware of the rhetorical moves of the companies that appear to grant privacy. – (privacy en3177 rhetoric )
- The Week When President Trump Resigned – The New York Times – Once more into the rhetorical situation – how Trump deals with the social demand for speech.
> On Tuesday he “relinquished what presidents from Roosevelt to Reagan have regarded as a cardinal duty of their job: set a moral course to unify the nation,” wrote The Times’s Mark Landler, in what was correctly labeled a news analysis and not an opinion column. Landler’s assessment, echoed by countless others, was as unassailable as it was haunting, and it was prompted in part by Trump’s perverse response to a question that it’s hard to imagine another president being asked: Did he place the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Va., on the same “moral plane” as those who showed up to push back at them?
- Here and now – Thinking … I’ll get back to you on it. – (none)
- Trumpcare Collapsed Because Republicans Cannot Govern – Republican ideology doesn't admit support for health care. It's not conservatism. It's Republicanism.
> In truth, it was never possible to reconcile public standards for a humane health-care system with conservative ideology. In a pure market system, access to medical care will be unaffordable for a huge share of the public. Giving them access to quality care means mobilizing government power to redistribute resources, either through direct tax and transfers or through regulations that raise costs for the healthy and lower them for the sick. Obamacare uses both methods, and both are utterly repugnant and unacceptable to movement conservatives. That commitment to abstract anti-government dogma, without any concern for the practical impact, is the quality that makes the Republican Party unlike right-of-center governing parties in any other democracy. In no other country would a conservative party develop a plan for health care that every major industry stakeholder calls completely unworkable.
> The power to destroy remains within the Republican Party’s capacity. The power to translate its ideological principles into practical government is utterly beyond its reach. – (ideology rhetoric politics )
- Defense of Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop offers case study on how to sell snake oil | Ars Technica – A catalogue of some of the rhetorical moves on Goop. – (ecommerce erhetoric snakeoil persuasion )
- A decentralized web would give power back to the people online – Want open? Start with open federation. – (oer fedwiki openaccess federation )
- Institutionalized – Mike's recent paean to changing the institution from within. – (oer open_learning open )
- Clueless Microsoft language processing – It might be crap, but it can only get better – if it's mandated. "Office 365 is the crappiest, slowest, most annoying email system I have ever encountered, and that is really saying something. I could write reams for you about its stupidities and detrimental effects on my productivity. Its attempts at showing intelligence are perhaps its worst feature." – (mnscu erhetoric microagression micromanagement )
- A Domain of One’s Own in a Post-Ownership Society – resisting the subscriptio. – (oer foss education )
- ‘If you fight fire with fire, everyone burns’: how to catch a troll like Trump | US news | The Guardian – – (erhetoric rhetoric )
- Making and Breaking Domain of One’s Own: Rethinking the Web in Higher Ed – D2l course in a box? There are better options.
> So the LMS underscores and further codifies a set of beliefs and values: courses should be used as a unit of measure to more efficiently track and administer the business of higher education, and within those courses we should build standard interfaces, provide standardized features and tools, and promote, among our students, the expectation that their experiences from one course to the next will be, well, standard.
- The rhetorical style of spontaneous speech – – (linguistics orality erhetoric )
- Hypothes.is as a public research notebook – – (annotation DH notetaking )
- Choral Explanations and OER: A Summary of Thinking to Date | Hapgood – Mike's OV of choral voices. I'm connecting the choral with the Greek chora. – (oer wiki fedwiki chora )
- Context, Commentary, and Close Reading: What Slate’s Annotated “Bartelby” Can Tell Us About Reading and Writing with Digital Annotation – > the already-annotated text (like Kahn’s “Bartelby”) is good for some kinds of reading, but not others. Specifically, while digital annotation overcomes some of the barriers to readerly engagement with a complex text, like lack of historical knowledge and interpretive experience, it also short-circuits the kind of intensive or “close” reading traditionally valued in literary studies. But the process of annotation modeled here helps productively deconstruct the writing/reading dichotomy, at the same time activating both close and contextual reading. “Bartelby” offers a useful model for how digital annotation tools and practices can be productively used in the writing classroom. – (notetaking annotation erhetoric )
- elearnspace › Adaptive Learners, Not Adaptive Learning – > This is where adaptive learning fails today: the future of work is about process attributes whereas the focus of adaptive learning is on product skills and low-level memorizable knowledge. I’ll take it a step further: today’s adaptive software robs learners of the development of the key attributes needed for continual learning – metacognitive, goal setting, and self-regulation – because it makes those decisions on behalf of the learner. – (adaptivelearning )
- The extent of Melania’s plagiarism – How to chart plagiarism – (plagiarism fyc )
- (Higher) Education as Bulwark of Uselessness – I'm deskilling in the wake of Pokemon GO. " I am being completely straight in claiming that the role and glory of education is that it can be useless, not being bounded by criteria of production and pre-determined purpose." – (gaming polemic corporateculture )
- Beyond Academic Twitter: Social Media and the Evolution of Scholarly Publication – Beyond the branding there is scholarship. – (dh erhetoric social_media twitter )
- Why Online Programs Fail, and 5 Things We Can Do About It – Hybrid Pedagogy – > The failure of online education programs is not logistical, nor political, nor economic: it’s cultural, rooted in our perspectives and biases about how learning happens and how the internet works (these things too often seen in opposition). – (DH DE )
- And the Pulitzer goes to… a computer | Technology | The Guardian – Journalism stories compiled by algorithm – a lot like procedural poetry. – (DH )
- [priv] How My “Disarm Hate” Slogan Went Viral (A Lesson in Network Communities and Networks, Part I) – For erhet fall 2016 – (erhetoric rhetorical_velocity )
- Trump: The Clickbait Candidate – How might digital rhet address this? A fourth office? Spectacle?
> The thing to remember here is that the act of measuring a process also changes that process. Analytics send a signal to journalists and their editors. In this instance, the signal is that Trump brings in way more traffic than Bush, Cruz, Walker, Clinton, Sanders, or Carson. And this signal then helps guide their news routines — people seem to want more Trump, so let’s give it to them.
> digital media does not only provide alternative means for people to speak; it also creates new pathways for organizations to listen. We have grown accustomed to looking at digital media as an alternative to traditional media. … Trump’s victory didn’t come about because he bypasses the media through Twitter. It is because he uses Twitter (and press conferences) to create a media spectacle, and media organizations, carefully monitoring their own analytics, respond with blockbuster coverage. – (analysis rhetoric erhetoric )
- Transmission Model of Communication – David Chandler critiques Shannon and Weaver's model as it has been used in common culture. Not merely mostly harmless. "In short, the transmissive model is of little direct value to social science research into human communication, and its endurance in popular discussion is a real liability. Its reductive influence has implications not only for the commonsense understanding of communication in general, but also for specific forms of communication such as speaking and listening, writing and reading, watching television and so on. In education, it represents a similarly transmissive model of teaching and learning. And in perception in general, it reflects the naive 'realist' notion that meanings exist in the world awaiting only decoding by the passive spectator. In all these contexts, such a model underestimates the creativity of the act of interpretation." – (communication Dh erhetoric )
- The Martian: Allegory of Whose Lives Matter – – (none)
- Dear parents: Let your kids use open source software – Written for parents. A tiny guide and apologia for FOSS. – (foss open_source linux tech_writing )
- Re-imagining Twitter – Example of how making it complex changes its potential. There's nothing intuitive about categories and stories: they are social concepts imported to bootstrap connection. What they do is make contextual information explicit rather than implicit. That adds to what can be carried by 140 characters. Ease of use gives way to augmentation. The link to lowercase capital in the subhead of the article is both a prominent move and a declaration of alignment (calling attention to itself *because* it's in the subhead). If we make it more complex, more people will use it! – (augmentation twitter socialmedia socialpractices erhetoric )
- What’s Your Algorithmic Citizenship? | Citizen Ex – A Chrome extension that records (locally) the physical location of the servers that hold the sites you visit. We have defined identity by place and origin. What happens when we become visitors? A DH project by James Bridle, co-commissioned by The space and the Southbank Centre. I'm in. – (DH identity geolocation geopsycology )
- Writing, Unteachable or Mistaught? – – (comp_theory )