- Down the Rabbit Hole of The #Fedwiki | Spoke & Hub – Put this: “@AlysonIndrunas: Down the Rabbit Hole of #Fedwiki ” with this: @Siobhan_ODwyer: – (fedwiki )
- Thoughts in motion | Jon Udell – More #fedwiki goodness from Jon Udell, this time on the possibilities when revision histories understand paragraphs: – (fedwiki )
- #Fedwiki is EASyR than you Think | Frogs in Hot Water – This post by @chambo_online is awesome: #Fedwiki is EASyR than you Think – (fedwiki )
- A Season in the #fedwiki | Spoke & Hub – What does that title mean, you ask? During the Teaching Machines Happening, I learned many things that surprised me, and on this post, I’d like to write about two of them–teaching and… – (fedwiki )
- Article: Misconceptions about Medieval Medicine: Humors, Leeches, Charms, and Prayers, by Michael Livingston – 17 March 2003 Lef man laeces behoth. [A weak man needs a physician.] –Cotton Maxims I.45 When I attempted, some months ago, to provide a basic guideline to medieval maps for the readers of Strange… – (medicine alternative-and-complementary-medicine )
- The “Food Babe” Blogger Is Full of Shit – It's all about rhetoric, really. – (blog erhetoric )
March’s Teaching Machine Happening led to some Hangouts and discussions with Mike C, Ward and a small group of participants. Encouraging. Those discussions led me to submitting a proposal to the OpenEd Conference, 2015. With mine , I’m following Mike Caulfield’s lead, but focusing on composing strategies. Alyson Indrunas also submitted, more on the lines of assessment.
Writing Strategies in a Federated Wiki Class
A commonplace in writing instruction says that the tool changes the process in noteworthy ways. Users have to learn how to operate the new writing tool. But they also have to adapt and devise writing strategies to suit the affordances and constraints of the tool as well as the social interactions the new tool creates. Users of the first wikis developed ThreadMode and DocumentMode as one strategy for organizing their collective work. Federated Wiki, now in development, makes similar demands on users to adapt and develop strategies for collective writing.
This presentation takes a first look at some of the writing strategies participants used in the Teaching Machines Happening. The aim is to get a sense of the issues for teaching new and alternative strategies for collective composing this new writing space.
Abstract: A first look at writing strategies in FedWiki.
I made it simple, with an eye to keeping the pretension down. And although I submitted it as a standard presentation (25 mins), I’m hoping that they’ll schedule it with Mike’s presentation.
Update 18 May 2015. My proposal wasn’t accepted, but I’m assuming Mike’s was and will still be attending in November.
- [toread] Donald Clark Plan B: 7 reasons: Why we need to kill boring ‘learning objectives’! – – (none)
- How to create visual relationships with contrast & similarity – A too-fast primer. – (webdesign design wcw erhetoric )
- Grades Fail Student Engagement with Learning | the becoming radical – Gaming he grade book and other study techniques – (pedagogy testing )
- The Access Compromise and the 5th R – – (oer pedagogy )
- Open Pedagogy: The Importance of Getting In the Air – – (oer pedagogy )
- From the Digital to the Bookbound – J. R. Carpenter review of Emerson Reading Writing Interfaces – "Lori Emerson sets out to demystify the wondrous devices of our digital age by interrogating both the limits and the creative possibilities of a wide range of reading and writing interfaces. For Emerson, interface is an open-ended term – a threshold, a point of interaction between human and hardware, between hardware and software, between reader and writer, and between human-authored writing and the vast corpus of machine-based text relentlessly reading and writing itself behind the surface of the screen." With mentions of digi lit iPad apps that prompt readingwriting – (dh digitallierature )
- [toread] Procedural Literacy: Educating the New Media Practitioner – Michael Mateas | ETC Press – – (digitallierature )
- Half an Hour: Design Elements in a Personal Learning Environment – the core design elements in the development of a personal learning architecture being developed in the National Research Council's Learning and Performance Support Systems program. – (ple design )
- Demystifying the muse: 5 creativity myths you need to stop believing – Crew Blog – of course, It's in businesses interest to demystify. you can't commodify the mysterious. So, out with the old myths, in with the new. – (writing inspiration ideology )
- Intertwingled Work – Greg Lloyd – An excellent post on intertwingledness in contexts. If pages/content are findable and addressable, they can be intertwingled – and it a matter of creating contexts that allow us to draw from that complexity to make meaning. Greg gives an apology for inline links, but, really, we don't need to apologize for that anymore. Let 'em eat cake. – (IA InfoDesign wikis intertwingled findability addressability )
- 50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice – The Chronicle Review – The Chronicle of Higher Education – – (none)
- Land of the free and elements of style – – (none)
- [toread] Bad advice on being a good writer – – (none)
- What Matter Who’s Speaking: Access, Wikis, and YOU by: Susan Lewak – Questions that correlate the nature authorship with the materiality of writing machines are not new to either literary criticism or to New Media scholarship. However, the environment of Web 2.0, (c. 2003-present) must, by its very nature, develop and expand these questions. If the “death of the author” led to “the birth of the reader” (in an environment where information was primarily linear and controlled by publishing companies), and the electronically-based “hypertext author” raised new possibilities for multi-linear writing (beyond print-based works such as Joyce’s Ulysses), what then are the implications of environments constructed entirely by web-based, social networking applications? As never before, we can now turn to Foucault and ask, “What matter who's speaking?” (Note 1) – (socialmedia wikis )
- The Function of Digital Poetry at the Present time, Brown – – (dh digitallierature )
- Labels, Smart Groups and GTD – In my last post on DevonThink (DT), I discussed group structures in my PhD database. This post and the one which will follow are on meta-structures of my database. (I’d initially intended to… – (DT notetaking DevonThink )
- on DevonThink and history research (I) – If you’re dropping by from the mothership, hi! I’m Rachel. I write now and then about history, academia, research tech and bookporn. Hit the RSS if you’re into any of that,… – (DevonThink notetaking DT )
- evangelicalism & geekery (II) –  Script support part of a series One of DEVONthink’s best features is its great script support, which I love & use extensively. I’ll give three examples. One is based on John… – (DT DevonThink notetaking )
- [toread] Rethinking Attachment – By far the most common hazard excised from within boxes and folders, though, is the paperclip. – (DH media_archeology notetaking )
- edit DEVONthink records in terminal vim – I’m in the midst of planning my Fall seminar, which happens to be a course titled “Digital History in Theory and Practice.” Given the large number of online resources I’m… – (markdown notetaking vim DevonThink )
- DEVONthink: evangelicalism and geekery (I) | a historian’s craft – twelve days since my last post. alas. I can only half blame Marco Polo; the remaining culpability must be roughly distributed between (a) manic funding and fieldwork administrative tasks, which I… – (DT notetaking DevonThink )
- Students as Contributors: Digital Learning Farm | November Learning – Aimed at HS, this is a pretty good bullet list of ideas for class involvement. – (secondary_ed participatorymedia )
- What’s in a Brand Name: the Sounds of Persuasion – Bibliographic OV of branding words – (rhetoric erhetoric corporatecreep ambient_awareness )
- RISD Experimental Publishing Studio – Yes, a syllabus as a manifesto. As they should be. – (dh printculture publishing )
- [toread] Brands Are Not Your Friends – – (branding )