- Learning is Not a Mechanism – "One of the problems with learning management system gradebooks, often mapped to rubrics and outcomes (which have run equally rampant of late), is that they assume students (and their experiences) are interchangeable. And they assume the same of teachers" – (de pedagogy mooc lms )
- Stereotropes – tropes – The penchant for cleverness limits its value, but it's a start. – (rhetoric dh )
- The Remix Hypothesis – We won't see the real digital change until we embrace the affordance of remix. – (remix DH sfw )
- Sources and Methods #5: Mark Bernstein — Sources & Methods – Podcast interview – (notetaking tinderbox academic-workflow ple )
- Digital Tools for Academic Research – PPT at scribd – (sente wiki notetaking academic-workflow )
- In Pursuit of a Digital Academic Workflow: Putting Digital Reading, Annotating, and Citation Management to Work for Your Studies | Cultural Heritage Informatics Initiative – an OV – (sente DevonThink notetaking academic-workflow ple )
- Digital Workflows for Grads – Productivity Tools for Graduate Students – Research Guides at Georgia Institute of Technology – Georgia Tech's one page index – (academic-workflow sente DevonThink notetaking )
- Introducing Digital Workflows for Academic Research on the Mac | Butler Library Blog – an OV – (sente DevonThink academic-workflow notetaking )
- Reading to Have Read – If you’re a person who reads, you may have read about Spritz, a startup that hopes to “reimagine” reading. Like most tech startups, reimagining entails making more efficient. Spritz promises to speed… – (content_strategy reading speed_reading attention_economy )
- [toread] Lockhart – a mathematician’s lament – – (none)
- Understanding and learning outcomes | Gardner Writes – > It’s when we’re forbidden to use “mushy” words like “understand” and “appreciate” because “they can’t be measured” that the trouble begins. And it’s when we believe that an “ordered list” will take us through the paradoxical encounters of meaning-making, curiosity, awe, and wonder so that we safely arrive at “student success” that we end up with what Ted Nelson famously termed “a forced march across a flattened plane.” > we are going to have to engage with paradox and start talking again about “learning outcomes” that are beyond algorithms. – (complexity learning_outcomes learning_objectives edtech )
- Not-yetness: Examples | the red pincushion – – (ple complexity oer oe )
- Watters – Teaching Machines – A history of education as centered on its machinery – (oer e-learning edcationaldesign )
- The Internet doesn’t make you smarter; you only think it does – But the false confidence is not restricted to the internet – (fyc cognition psychology )
- The Rise Of The Screenshort™ – BuzzFeed News – – (blogging twitter screenshort )
- R.I.P. Blogging, Killed By Screenshorts – Using screenshots of a text note. – (blogging twitter )
- Why Free Is Not the Future of Digital Content in Education | WIRED – The good stuff is in the comments. Sometimes it's a joy to watch a self-serving educational publisher blather on about things outside her understanding. A brush this wide helps tar the entire enterprise. Well done MARY CULLINANE – (DE CC OER )
- Deploying a wiki – – (fedwiki )
- Fedwiki as a mockup prototype – Show FedWiki as a "mockup" prototype of Ward's next vision. Where as WikiWiki is a means for many to work on one piece of content (convergence) stored in one server, what if the similar mechanisms were in a place where we each manage our own small wiki, but through a network means, we can share and have it federated with collaborators. – (fedwiki rhetoric )
- Reflections on Federated Wiki Happening 2014 | catherinecronin – Forget if I tweeted this @catherinecronin reflection on #fedwiki yet, but it's well worth a read. – (fedwiki chorusofvoices )
- Reflection on #fedwiki: Two Tales of Two Forks | Francesbell’s Blog – This is a really thoughtful piece by @francesbell on forking in #fedwiki cc @WardCunningham – (fedwiki )
- Federated Wiki, Slow Cooperation, and a Kindle Parable | Hapgood – A Kindle Parable for #fedwiki participant's and a very partial reply to one part of @francesbell's post ;) – (fedwiki )
- Down the Rabbit Hole of The #Fedwiki | Spoke & Hub – Put this: “@AlysonIndrunas: Down the Rabbit Hole of #Fedwiki ” with this: @Siobhan_ODwyer: – (fedwiki )
- Thoughts in motion | Jon Udell – More #fedwiki goodness from Jon Udell, this time on the possibilities when revision histories understand paragraphs: – (fedwiki )
- #Fedwiki is EASyR than you Think | Frogs in Hot Water – This post by @chambo_online is awesome: #Fedwiki is EASyR than you Think – (fedwiki )
- A Season in the #fedwiki | Spoke & Hub – What does that title mean, you ask? During the Teaching Machines Happening, I learned many things that surprised me, and on this post, I’d like to write about two of them–teaching and… – (fedwiki )
- Article: Misconceptions about Medieval Medicine: Humors, Leeches, Charms, and Prayers, by Michael Livingston – 17 March 2003 Lef man laeces behoth. [A weak man needs a physician.] –Cotton Maxims I.45 When I attempted, some months ago, to provide a basic guideline to medieval maps for the readers of Strange… – (medicine alternative-and-complementary-medicine )
- The “Food Babe” Blogger Is Full of Shit – It's all about rhetoric, really. – (blog erhetoric )
March’s Teaching Machine Happening led to some Hangouts and discussions with Mike C, Ward and a small group of participants. Encouraging. Those discussions led me to submitting a proposal to the OpenEd Conference, 2015. With mine , I’m following Mike Caulfield’s lead, but focusing on composing strategies. Alyson Indrunas also submitted, more on the lines of assessment.
Writing Strategies in a Federated Wiki Class
A commonplace in writing instruction says that the tool changes the process in noteworthy ways. Users have to learn how to operate the new writing tool. But they also have to adapt and devise writing strategies to suit the affordances and constraints of the tool as well as the social interactions the new tool creates. Users of the first wikis developed ThreadMode and DocumentMode as one strategy for organizing their collective work. Federated Wiki, now in development, makes similar demands on users to adapt and develop strategies for collective writing.
This presentation takes a first look at some of the writing strategies participants used in the Teaching Machines Happening. The aim is to get a sense of the issues for teaching new and alternative strategies for collective composing this new writing space.
Abstract: A first look at writing strategies in FedWiki.
I made it simple, with an eye to keeping the pretension down. And although I submitted it as a standard presentation (25 mins), I’m hoping that they’ll schedule it with Mike’s presentation.
Update 18 May 2015. My proposal wasn’t accepted, but I’m assuming Mike’s was and will still be attending in November.
- [toread] Donald Clark Plan B: 7 reasons: Why we need to kill boring ‘learning objectives’! – – (none)
- How to create visual relationships with contrast & similarity – A too-fast primer. – (webdesign design wcw erhetoric )
- Grades Fail Student Engagement with Learning | the becoming radical – Gaming he grade book and other study techniques – (pedagogy testing )